CORONAVIRUS UPDATE FOR NHS STAFF #2 1030, 31/03/2020
We have delivered millions more pieces of equipment to NHS staff, so that everyone who needs personal protective equipment can get it. We have established the national supply distribution response team, supported by the Armed Forces, to deliver equipment to people who need it the most.
We have delivered 170 million FFP3 masks, surgical masks and other PPE equipment:
- 23 million surgical face masks
- 42.8 million gloves
- 13.7 million aprons
- 182,000 gowns
- Almost 10 million items of cleaning equipment
- 2.3 million pairs of eye protectors
Every single GP practice, dental practice, and community pharmacy has had a PPE delivery. All care homes, hospices, and home care providers have, or will shortly have, a delivery.
Our message to the public:
Stay at home
You must stay at home, only leaving for the following very limited purposes:
- Shopping for basic necessities, as infrequently as possible.
- One form of exercise a day – for example, a run, walk or cycle – alone or with members of your immediate household.
- Any medical need, to provide care or to help a vulnerable person.
- Travelling to and from work, but only where this absolutely cannot be done from home.
Protect the NHS
You must stay at home to protect the NHS:
- The NHS only has a limited number of doctors, nurses and specialist equipment.
- We are working around the clock to increase NHS capacity.
- The more people who get sick, the harder it is for the NHS to cope.
- We must slow the spread of the disease so that fewer people are sick at any one time.
You must stay at home to protect the NHS and save lives. The police will have the powers to enforce the following restrictions:
- Dispersing gatherings of more than two people in public, excluding people you live with.
- Issuing fines to anyone who does not comply with these rules.
- Closing shops that are not essential, as well as playgrounds and places of worship.
Full guidance on staying at home can be found at www.gov.uk/coronavirus
You can find the most up to date medical advice at www.nhs.uk/coronavirus
You can find the answers to frequently asked questions about what you can do and can’t do during this pandemic here.
You can volunteer to become an NHS Volunteer Responder at https://www.goodsamapp.org/NHS