Cllr Linda Taylor, Leader of Cornwall Council, has signed off on the latest plans for Cornwall Council’s use of funding provided by the Government via the Household Support Fund.
The Household Support Fund will be delivered using a mixed-method approach which includes
· Targeted provision to low-income households
· referral from professionals
· self-referral options
The targeted provision will consist of two elements:
1) The Council will use data from the Department for Work and Pensions and Council data to identify pensioners on low income and make a single £100 payment per eligible person.
2) The Council will use its own data to identify children in low-income households using the Free School Meal eligibility criteria and make a single £80 payment per child.
“I am pleased to see the Government has provided Cornwall Council with over £4.5million to use in its Household Support Fund.”
“With the cost of living crisis causing difficulties for so many people I have been keen to ensure those low-income households most impacted by these issues, those with older people or with children will benefit direct from targeted support payments, while at the same time the fund remains open for self-referrals and referrals via appropriate organisations and professionals to help other who need it.”
“Along with the generous measures already provided by our Government, we are doing all we can to monitor and review this situation to ensure some of most vulnerable households in Cornwall do not lose out, and these measures are proof of this.”
The Household Support fund will be delivered in addition to further Government support for vulnerable households next winter:
* Increase to the National Living Wage
* Benefit from the Energy Price Cap
* Recent rise in Local Housing Allowance
* Warm Home Discount which provides a £140 rebate on energy bills each winter
* Cold Weather Payment which provides £25 extra a week for poorer households when the temperature is consistently below zero
* Holiday Activities and Food programme over the Christmas Holidays
* Doubled the value of free childcare for eligible working parents
* Increase to the value of Healthy Start vouchers.