What does an MP do?


A Member of Parliament (MP) is elected to the House of Commons to represent one of 650 constituencies in the United Kingdom.

In Parliament, MPs raise concerns on behalf of constituents, attend debates, scrutinise and vote on legislation, and attend meetings with fellow MPs, Ministers and organisations. In the constituency, MPs hold surgeries for constituents to discuss local issues, attend meetings and community events, and visit local organisations and businesses.

MPs also have a small office of staff to address and handle concerns raised by constituents.

Cornwall Council and planning applications

As an MP, Scott Mann does not have jurisdiction over the management, decisions or policies of Cornwall Council, but he can pass on concerns raised by a constituent.

In the first instance, constituents should contact Cornwall Council or their local councillor if they have a query concerning a council-related issue, including planning applications, licensing, council housing, health & social care, roads & parking or environmental health.

You can view the Cornwall Council website here. If you wish to lodge a complaint with Cornwall Council, click here.

If you wish to comment on a planning application or proposed development, then you should contact the Cornwall Council planning department or your local councillor, as it is the Council who decide the outcome of applications - not MPs. Planning applications can be viewed via the online planning portal here, where formal comments can be submitted

You can find your local Cornwall Councillor here .

Legal Advice and the Police

Scott and his office cannot offer legal advice, nor do they have jurisdiction over the police or the courts. Constituents should therefore consult a solicitor if they need professional legal advice for criminal or civil matters.

If you wish to report a non-emergency crime then you should dial 101. If you wish to make a complaint to Devon & Cornwall Police, click here .

Devon and Cornwall Police is accountable to the Police & Crime Commissioner (PCC), who is elected by the public to hold the force and its chief constable to account. You can contact the Devon and Cornwall PCC here .

European Union

If you have a query related to the European Union, including EU legislation, policy or court judgements, then you should contact one of your local MEPs.

The South West has 6 MEPs who you can contact here .


Click here to view FAQs about MPs and Parliament


Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy


Tel: 020 7215 5000

Responsible for Government policy on business, industrial strategy, science, innovation, energy, and climate change.

Department for Culture, Media and Sport


Tel: 020 7211 6000

Responsible for Government policy on culture, the arts, media, gambling, the national lottery, sport and the Olympics.

Foreign Office

http: //www.fco.gov.uk/

Tel: 020 7008 1500

Responsible for Government policy on foreign affairs and diplomacy. The Foreign Office is also responsible for Consular services, travel advice and sanctions implemented by the UK.

Home Office


Tel: 020 7035 4745

Responsible for Government policy on crime, the police, counter terrorism, alcohol, drugs, immigration and passports.

Department for Defence


Tel: 020 7218 9000

Responsible for Government policy on all defence issues.

Department for Education


Tel: 0370 000 2288

Responsible for Government policy on schools in England, children, young people, families, education and training for 16 to 19 year olds, school standards and teacher training.

Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs


Tel: 08459 33 55 77

Responsible for Government policy on the natural environment, food, farming, fisheries, animal health and welfare, rural communities and environmental protection.

Department for Exiting the European Union


Responsible for overseeing negotiations to leave the EU and establishing the future relationship between the UK and EU.

Department of Health


Tel: 020 7210 4850

Responsible for Government policy on Health and provides strategic leadership for public health, the NHS and social care in England.

Department for International Development


Tel: 0845 300 4100

Responsible for Government policy on international development and foreign aid.

Department for International Trade


Tel: 020 7215 5000

Responsible for promoting British trade across the world.

Ministry of Justice


Tel: 020 3334 3555

Responsible for Government policy on the Courts, the Probation Service and Prisons.

Department for Transport


Tel: 0300 330 3000

Responsible for Government policy on aviation, roads, rail and shipping

HM Treasury


Tel: 020 7270 5000

Responsible for Government policy on economics, finance and taxation

Department for Work and Pensions


Responsible for Government policy on welfare and pension policy, including pensions, the child support agency and job centres.

Department for Communities and Local Government


Tel: 0303 444 0000

Responsible for building regulations, community cohesion, decentralisation, fire services and resilience, housing, local government, planning, race equality, the Thames Gateway and urban regeneration.